Sooooo much I need to be writing about here and so little time to do it all. Until then, here’s other stuff people have writing and news that happened over the past week or so.
- Jon Stewart Blasts Fox’s Obsession With Food Stamps- Nothing “we” haven’t been saying for ages but it’s kinda cool to me how it feels like the most people who say this, the quieter people who previously were food stamp bashers become. Of course, there will always be the same idiots following the Fox- sheep herders, but that just makes them more laughable.
- How Many Minimum Wage Hours Does It Take To Afford A Two-Bedroom Apartment In Your State? -Oh,only 139 for us here in NY? I don’t even live in the city and the cost of rentals here is outrageous.
- Want to Predict the Future of Surveillance? Ask Poor Communities - The most sweeping digital surveillance technologies are designed and tested in what could be called “low rights environments”—poor communities, repressive social programs, dictatorial regimes, and military and intelligence operations—where there are low expectations of political accountability and transparency.
- 8-Year-Old Raises Thousands of Dollars to Pay Off Past Due Lunch Accounts of Classmates- Good job,kiddo. If there’s one thing that makes me fly into a flipping tables kind of rage, it’s schools denying kids their lunch because of non-payment.
- Food pantries under pressure: Harsh weather, reduced government support create need in Falmouth - I think I end up linking to at least one article per week like this. It’s everywhere, Nationwide. It needs reiterating every single time. As long as there are people out there who believe no one in the U.S. could ever go hungry because there are so many places people can go to get food…. it just isn’t true.
- 25 Famous People Who Used To Be Homeless- The first the came to mind for me was Cheri Honkala but I suppose she’s not Hollywood Famous,so it doesn’t matter. Just a former vice-prez candidate. No biggie.
- PPEHRC & AAU US Social Forum Launch Fundraiser- Speaking of Cheri Honkala, Poor People’s Economic Human Rights Campaign and Asian Americans United have officially launched their first US Social Forum fundraising campaign. For the next 29 days we are trying to raise $5,000! Please, show your support. Donate, $5, $10, $20 or whatever you can. And please, get your friends and families involved. Your support makes a difference.
- It’s funny how many people send me messages and emails that say, “Is it just me or is the government TRYING to force us into submission…if they don’t kill us first”. Us, meaning… poor people.
image via @OthewhomaniT on Twitter
- Paul Ryan: Free Lunches Make Kids Soulless — Daily Intelligencer- Read the updated section at the bottom.
the anecdote he told isn’t even about government provided lunches, and was just a “game of Republican telephone where a poor child with a specific request for a woman helping him was conveniently transformed into a victim of the school lunch program”
- HBO and The Shriver Report Present “Paycheck to Paycheck: The Life and Times of Katrina Gilbert”- PAYCHECK TO PAYCHECK: THE LIFE & TIMES OF KATRINA GILBERT offers a deeply personal, unvarnished and moving story of Katrina Gilbert, a single mom of three, struggling to get ahead but constantly getting knocked back by a system that almost seems designed to see her fail. The documentary premieres Monday, March 17th at 9pm on HBO but you can register at the link for a FREE streaming event if you don’t have HBO.
- 10 Reasons Why People Who Give A Damn About The World Make Better Lovers-I cannot disagree with any of this
- Wangari Mathaai is one of my personal heroines. So incredibly inspirational.
- Hunger Knows No Season: What will you do today? | Catalogue for Philanthropy: Greater Washington-A 25% child poverty rate here is unacceptable…that’s an understatement. Most people only consider donating to hunger relief at the holidays but poor families need to eat all year long.
- Poverty in the Ivory Tower- YES, yes, and so many YESES.
I love when I’m reading something and feel like the person is saying everything I want to say.
- “Anyone who has ever struggled with poverty knows how extremely expensive it is to be poor.” – James Baldwin
- Hungry, Poor Queer People to Become Hungrier, Poorer after Food Stamp Cuts- ” LGBT people experience disproportionately high levels of food insecurity and participation in the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (aka SNAP or food stamps). This data complements other recent studies showing that the queer community experiences disproportionate amounts of poverty, homelessness and discrimination, and rarely do those combine without it also being difficult for people to access adequate nutrition.”
Spoiler: It’s gonna get worse
- 10 Reasons Homeless People Sleep Out in the Cold -About 700 homeless people freeze to death each year in the U.S. They stay outside for many reasons, including that there aren’t enough shelter beds. (There is a storm brewing outside where I love as I type. Thinking of all the homeless people who have nowhere to go)
- Food Insecurity: What it Looks Like for My Family -I feel a lot like Beyond Mom does….that my family is doing really well compared to many, especially those who are struggling with food insecurity and don’t get SNAP. Or those who get a piddly amount for SNAP because their on paper income includes something they aren’t actually getting or some flaw in the process.
- I just discovered artist Stephanie McMillan. I love her Daily Affirmations. Every single one I see, I’m all like, “Hell,YES!”
Meh. I had decided to bullet point this and now the formatting is a bit wonky, but I don’t have time to fix it right now. Apologies.